I can hardly believe that Joe is already two weeks old! I know, I know, "He'll be going to college before you know it. Time passes so quickly, blah, blah, blah." But, seriously, these past two might have been the fastest of my entire life, and I know the pace is only going to pick up! Although I wouldn't describe the past two weeks as easy, they have been wonderful. Below are some pics from the last several days and then an update on how we're doing followed by a summary of both boys' doctor appointments.

First sponge bath


First meeting with Uncle Doc

Hanging with Daddy

Two weeks old today!

First sponge bath
First meeting with Uncle Doc
Hanging with Daddy
Two weeks old today!
Update on day-to-day life (sleeping, eating, crying):
We are all still doing pretty well. At this point, we've had several consecutive nights of feedings at 9-ish, 12-ish, 3-ish, 6-ish. Although, I'd love to sleep more than 2 1/2 hours at a time, I'm satisfied with that schedule as long as we continue to SLEEP between those feedings. Again I'll say, at this point (because I know it could change any time), he eats and goes back to sleep without a fight. During the day, he is starting to stay awake for some long stretches...like 4-5 hours at a time! Can you believe that? I don't think 2 week old babies are supposed to stay awake that long. He'll take short little naps when he eats, but he then he'll be right back up again. After those long stretches of being awake, he usually takes a good 3+ hour nap.
As for my own recovery, although I can't say I'm fully healed, I'm feeling much better this week. Last week I told a friend that I was feeling more emotionally stable than I was with Jack. The next day, I began reading a book called, "Tender Mercy for a Mother's Soul." The first chapter talks about all of the incredible challenges and wonderful rewards of motherhood. I sobbed through the first 10 pages before I took a break from it. Now, having said that, I still maintain that I am more emotionally stable than I was with Jack. While I do get emotional when I think about how precious this little gifts from God are, I don't feel nearly as overwhelmed. (Again, anything can change at any given moment and a few weeks from now if the sleep deprivation increases or accumulates, I may have a different story to tell.)
I've had great helpers here since Joe was born (first my mom, now Brent's mom, and Aunt Bec was here on Sunday), so I know I've been spoiled! I'm nervous about going it alone next week. I might not be handling the sleeplessness quite as well without their help! (They've allowed me to get naps and be pretty lazy during the day!)
Doctor appointments:
Today was Joe's two week check-up, and we also took Jack for his three year old check-up. (OK, so he's technically 40 months, not 36 months, but he's such a healthy kiddo and there are not immunizations or anything at this one that I just didn't see any need to hurry up and schedule the appointment.) Here are their stats:
Joe
weight - 8 lbs, 4.8 oz (75th percentile; this is exactly what he weighed at birth, so he's right on track; we've been reporting 8lbs, 5oz at birth just because that's easier to remember.)
length - 20.5 inches (90th percentile; same as at birth)
head circumference - (50th percentile...Jack was always in the 90+ percentile for head circumference!)
Jack
weight - 36 lbs, 8 oz (90th percentile)
height - 40.25 inches (95th percentile)
We are all still doing pretty well. At this point, we've had several consecutive nights of feedings at 9-ish, 12-ish, 3-ish, 6-ish. Although, I'd love to sleep more than 2 1/2 hours at a time, I'm satisfied with that schedule as long as we continue to SLEEP between those feedings. Again I'll say, at this point (because I know it could change any time), he eats and goes back to sleep without a fight. During the day, he is starting to stay awake for some long stretches...like 4-5 hours at a time! Can you believe that? I don't think 2 week old babies are supposed to stay awake that long. He'll take short little naps when he eats, but he then he'll be right back up again. After those long stretches of being awake, he usually takes a good 3+ hour nap.
As for my own recovery, although I can't say I'm fully healed, I'm feeling much better this week. Last week I told a friend that I was feeling more emotionally stable than I was with Jack. The next day, I began reading a book called, "Tender Mercy for a Mother's Soul." The first chapter talks about all of the incredible challenges and wonderful rewards of motherhood. I sobbed through the first 10 pages before I took a break from it. Now, having said that, I still maintain that I am more emotionally stable than I was with Jack. While I do get emotional when I think about how precious this little gifts from God are, I don't feel nearly as overwhelmed. (Again, anything can change at any given moment and a few weeks from now if the sleep deprivation increases or accumulates, I may have a different story to tell.)
I've had great helpers here since Joe was born (first my mom, now Brent's mom, and Aunt Bec was here on Sunday), so I know I've been spoiled! I'm nervous about going it alone next week. I might not be handling the sleeplessness quite as well without their help! (They've allowed me to get naps and be pretty lazy during the day!)
Doctor appointments:
Today was Joe's two week check-up, and we also took Jack for his three year old check-up. (OK, so he's technically 40 months, not 36 months, but he's such a healthy kiddo and there are not immunizations or anything at this one that I just didn't see any need to hurry up and schedule the appointment.) Here are their stats:
Joe
weight - 8 lbs, 4.8 oz (75th percentile; this is exactly what he weighed at birth, so he's right on track; we've been reporting 8lbs, 5oz at birth just because that's easier to remember.)
length - 20.5 inches (90th percentile; same as at birth)
head circumference - (50th percentile...Jack was always in the 90+ percentile for head circumference!)
Jack
weight - 36 lbs, 8 oz (90th percentile)
height - 40.25 inches (95th percentile)
No comments:
Post a Comment